Firelight played over the aged face, turning a silver Van Dyke a reddish-orange. The drip of water from stalactites, the crackle of burning wood, and the sting of smoke were all ignored as he concentrated on reaching out to the untrained mind. It was harder than anticipated. The young one fought for his life against seeming insurmountable odds.
“Focus, Carter. Stretch your mind out. Take advantage of the temporal slow. You can do this.”
The words, crackling with power, seemed to hang in the air. His words had no effect. He’d have to step in. A wrinkled, yet still strong, hand circled on the ground, and then rose up. It briefly faded from sight, before being drawn back. A poisonous green jewel flashed in the firelight as the hand reappeared. Wrapped around a braided leather swathed hilt, and dull black pommel. The elderly man rose to his feet, dragging the hilt as he stood. A saw-toothed, lusterless black longsword came from the ether.
“Are you certain this is wise, Nicholas?” The voice sounded from the shadows, deep, and gravelly.
The mysterious man slunk into the cave. The bats ceased their rustling, sensing something unnatural about this being. The mice huddled tighter together in their burrow. The mysterious man ignored the rustling of bat wings, the click of tiny mice nails on stone, even the terrified squeaks of the cave’s denizens. He walked back and forth from the remains of the fire, to the few logs in the scattered pile. After several minutes of doing this, he knelt down in front of the ash pile. He then lay down in the exact spot Jennifer had slept in.
“Hey, why are you starting another story when you haven’t finished any of the others?”
Well, imaginary speaker for my fans – both of them – technically, with this, I am finishing one of the others. Or, continuing it, anyway. This is the continuation of The Chronicles of Carter Blake. I have a prologue and three chapters complete. Maybe posting them here will be the kick in the pants I need to finish.
A blond-haired, blue-eyed woman dressed in a beige pantsuit stood before them expectantly. Her chestnut hair was pulled back in a simple ponytail. She was shorter than Jennifer but seemed more imposing than the much larger Rob. A tentative smile slowly grew on Jennifer’s face as she stared at the tiny woman. Adrenaline dumped into her body, causing her heart to thump rapidly. Her skin tingled as the blood shot through her veins. Her eyes sparkled and flashed with happiness. She stepped forwards and pulled the little woman into a hug. “Oh, thank, god you’re okay, Danni.”
Danni patted her friend’s back. “Of course I am, my dear. Thank you for your concern. Though unwarranted, it is greatly appreciated.”
“I found your laptop, but it’s back in my car. I didn’t look inside.”
“Keep the computer. The Karo syrup will clean off rather easily. None was able to get to the insides because of the covering created by Mr. Stevenson. It should work perfectly. The password, incidentally, is the first 14 numbers of the Fibonacci sequence.”
I found this questionnaire online and decided: “What the hell. It might be fun.”
1. Do you ever doubt the existence of others than you?
Nope. I see evidence of them all the time.
2. On a scale of 1-5, how afraid of the dark are you?
That all depends on what I read before I turned out the light. One of the perils of having a highly active imagination.
3. The person you would never want to meet?
Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Think about it for a moment.
4. What is your favorite word?
“Fuck.” It’s extremely fucking versatile.
5. If you were a type of tree, what would you be?
A great bristlecone pine.
6. When you looked in the mirror this morning what was the first thing you thought?
I actively avoid looking in mirrors, and so, don’t have one.
7. What shirt are you wearing?
I’m shirtless at the moment.
8. What do you label yourself as?
An asshole. Hell, everyone else does, sooner, or later.
9. Bright room or dark room?
10. What were you doing at midnight last night?
Laying in bed, feeling like I was going to puke. It didnt happen, though.
11. Favorite age you’ve been so far?
12. Who told you they loved you last?
The person I love most in the world. April 10th, 2014.
13. Your worst enemy?
Myself. I always manage to screw everything up, sooner, or later.
14. What is your current desktop picture?
15. Do you like someone?
I like lots of folks, but I think this means romantically. I do. Shes actually a subscriber to my blog.
16. The last song you listened to?
This one: https://open.spotify.com/track/5Ox6cVMhvW5nl3UForWFHa
17. You can press a button that will make any one person explode. Who would you blow up?
A fucking fucktard of a douchebag named Dan Boyce. The reasons are myriad.
18. Who would you really like to just punch in the face?
The same fucker I named above.
19. If anyone could be your slave for a day, who would it be and what would they have to do?
If it were consentual, as a type of role play that we’d talked about extensively before hand, it would be my love. And it would be the most onerous task she could imagine: Allowing me to pamper her all day. 🙂
20. What is your best physical attribute? (showing said attribute is optional)
My arse. It is magnificent.
21. If you were the opposite sex for one day, what would you look like and what would you do?
I’d have to be some sort of redhead, and I’d probably spend the day masturbating.
22. Do you have a secret talent? If yes, what is it?
Yes! Convincing people I’m a fair writer.
23. What is one unique thing you’re afraid of?
My fear is actually pretty pedestrian: Heights. To be precise, falling.
24. You can only have one kind of sandwich. Every sandwich ingredient known to humankind is at your disposal.
A bacon/pineapple sandwhich.
25. You just found $100! How are you going to spend it?
I’m not. It’s going on my prepaid debit card until I need it.
26. You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere in the world, but you have to leave immediately. Where are you going to go?
Land O’Lakes, Florida.
27. An angel appears out of Heaven and offers you a lifetime supply of the alcoholic beverage of your choice. “Be brand-specific” it says. Man! What are you gonna say about that? Even if you don’t drink booze there’s something you can figure out… so what’s it gonna be?
The Greek Gods’ ambrosia. I want to be a diety, too.
28. You discover a beautiful island upon which you may build your own society. You make the rules. What is the first rule you put into place?
Only those I personally invite may come.
29. What is your favorite expletive?
30. Your house is on fire, holy shit! You have just enough time to run in there and grab ONE inanimate object. Don’t worry, your loved ones and pets have already made it out safely. So what’s the one thing you’re going to save from that blazing inferno?
31. You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
None of them. All my experiences made me who I am today and led me to the woman of my dreams, even if she doesn’t want me. I’d never risk losing that.
32. You got kicked out of the country for being a time-traveling heathen who sleeps with celebrities and has super-powers. But check out this cool shit… you can move to anywhere else in the world!
This one isn’t question.
33. The Celestial Gates Of Beyond have opened, much to your surprise because you didn’t think such a thing existed. Death appears. As it turns out, Death is actually a pretty cool entity, and happens to be in a fantastic mood. Death offers to return the friend/family-member/person/etc. of your choice to the living world. Who will you bring back?
Issac Newton. Once he got over the time/culture shock, think of all he could help us create and learn.
34. What was your last dream about?
Walking along the beach at sunset, holding the hand of my love.
35. Are you a good….[insert anything you’d like here]?
36. Have you ever been admitted to the hospital?
37. Have you ever built a snowman?
38. What is the color of your socks?
At the moment, I am barefoot. The ones I own are white, though.
39. What type of music do you like?
My tastes are eclectic, but leaning more towards rock orchestra.
40. Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?
As a night owl, I prefer sunsets.
41. What is your favorite milkshake flavor?
42. What football team do you support? (I will answer in terms of American football as well as soccer)
American Football would be the New England Patriots and standard football would be Manchester.
43. Do you have any scars?
I have a few. Physical, mental & emtional.
44. Would you rather be immortal, but dependant on blood, or age 1000 times slower than everyone else?
Age slower than everyone else.
45. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Whatever it is that makes me unlovable after a certain period of time.
46. Are you reliable?
From a certain point of view.
47. If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be?
Have we gotten used to the lonliness yet?
48. Do you hold grudges?
With both hands.
49. If you could breed two animals together to defy the laws of nature, what new animal would you create?
Technically speaking, there are no laws of nature.
50. What is the most unusual conversation you’ve ever had?
This one. 😉
51. Are you a good liar?
I try my damnedest not to lie.
52. How long could you go without talking?
53. What has been you worst haircut/style?
In the 80’s (yes, I just dated myself), I briefly went with the spiked mohawk.
54. Have you ever baked your own cake?
And ate it, too.
55. Can you do any accents other than your own?
56. What do you like on your toast?
Depends on my mood.
57. What is the last thing you drew a picture of?
Squiggly lines. It was horrible.
58. What would be you dream car?
80’s model Corvette Stingray
59. Do you sing in the shower? Or do anything unusual in the shower? Explain.
I do not.
60. Do you believe in aliens?
Which version? From another country? Yep. From outer space? Also yep. However, we’ve not been visited by space aliens.
61. Do you often read your horoscope?
Only when I want a chuckle.
62. What is your favorite letter of the alphabet?
63. Which is cooler: dinosaurs or dragons?
Dinosaurs, because they were real.
64. What do you think about babies?
65. Freebie! Ask anything interesting you can think of.
What kind of way to end is that?
I hope y’all found this bit a little entertaining.
Damyanti Biswas is an author, blogger, animal-lover, spiritualist. Her work is represented by Ed Wilson from the Johnson & Alcock agency. When not pottering about with her plants or her aquariums, you can find her nose deep in a book, or baking up a storm.